Steph created the Six For Sunday challenge, and this quarter’s prompts are here! This week we’re looking at my favourite six ‘book 1’s. This was really hard for me, actually, because I tend to prefer standalones or final books because I hate cliffhangers. But I managed to pick out six series starters that I loved.
- Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth. So the rest of the series isn’t out yet for me to compare them, but I adored this book. I can’t wait for the sequel but, importantly, Chosen Ones totally stands alone as its own story.
- Renegades by Marissa Meyer. This wasn’t my favourite book of the three, that was Supernova, but Renegades is an excellent series starter. It’s engaging all the way through with an ending that made me start Archenemies immediately. I could never have waited for a year between the two.
- Gideon the Ninth by Tasmyn Muir. This book works fairly well as a standalone too, which I love. It also had me absolutely feral. A book that works alone but also leads into a series is the perfect starter to me.
- Heartstopper Vol. 1 by Alice Oseman. This book is so??? wholesome??? I cried in the library reading it because it was so cute, then immediately walked to the local bookstore and bought volumes 2 and 3. It’s perfect.
- One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus. Again, this book works as a standalone (I’m showing a strong bias here and I know it) but also introduces us to characters so lovable that I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the sequel as soon as it was announced.
- Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz. This one’s a personal choice because it has such sentimental value to me, but I’ve reread this a dozen times, so it had to be one of my favourite series starters!
See you next week for the next Six For Sunday!